English Language Literacy Programmes
P1 Reading for Understanding Objectives
- To teach pupils specific strategies (e.g. Visualising, making connections, etc.) for reading and understanding reading comprehension passages.
- To introduce pupils to literal comprehension skills of identifying important details and recognising stated main ideas and noting the correct sequence of events.
- To introduce pupils to interpretative comprehension skills of making inferences and making predictions.
- To specifically teach pupils how to recognize key words & phrases and how to answer follow-up comprehension questions effectively.
- To expand pupils’ vocabulary by introducing them to new words and concepts in the reading passages.
- To teach values and character education during discussions of the reading passages in class